HISTORY

HISTORY OF THE CLUB

The Cambridge Woman's Club was founded in 1898 by a group of women who wanted to work within the Cambridge community to promote the humanities through a variety of projects. 

Originally, their name was the "Literary Study Group". An exchange of books was provided for members at their clubhouse. Soon this idea was expanded into the community and a lending library was established for all Cambridge residents. The Cambridge Woman's Club helped to establish the Dorchester County Public Library. Later the Cambridge Woman's Club also help found the Dorchester County Historical Society. 

The Cambridge Woman's Club affiliated with the Maryland Federation of Women's Clubs in 1932, We are the second oldest federated woman's club on the Eastern Shore.

Cambridge Woman's Club Affiliations


The Dorchester chapters of the American Red Cross, the Dorchester Garden Club, the Mid-Shore League of Women Voters, Dorchester Girl Scouts, and the

 first Cambridge Chess Team for young people originated at the Cambridge Woman's Club.

HISTORY OF SYCAMORE COTTAGE

The Sycamore Cottage was purchased by The Cambridge Woman's Club in 1922. It is architecturally and historically significant. 

Built as early as 1759 by Rev. Daniel Maynadier and his wife Mary Maynadier. Rev. Daniel Maynadier was Reverand of Great Choptank Parish from 1765 to 1772. Originally located at 114 High Street, the cottage was the primary residence for the Maynadiers until a larger home was built by the family on the same lot. Four generations of Maynadiers owned Sycamore Cottage until the property was sold in 1828. In 1840 the "front part", or what we know as Sycamore Cottage, was sold to Jeremiah Wright and moved to its current location at 417 High Street. 

Sycamore Cottage is the only surviving example of an eighteenth-century gambrel roof building in Cambridge and one of the few examples of Georgian architecture in the area.  While its age makes it a local landmark, the building also reflects a number of important economic and social changes in Dorchester County making it an excellent source for interpreting Cambridge history.

In or around 1932 the membership had outgrown the "Parlor" and the "Club House" was built on the back section of the original house. It is a large meeting room with a stage and catering kitchen.